Meet Talia Horrow '25 of the Human Rights and International Law Organization

Talia Horrow ’25 is president of the Human Rights and International Law Organization at UC Law SF.

The Human Rights and International Law Organization (HRILO) is one of several organizations that allow UC Law SF students to explore their interests, connect with like-minded peers, and network for their future careers.

HRILO President Talia Horrow ’25 explains why this organization is important to her and shares more about the international law-related activities she has pursued while studying at UC Law SF.

Q: What is HRILO?

A: HRILO seeks to raise awareness and understanding of international law issues on campus. It also creates opportunities for law students to learn from and connect with people who work in the field. Each semester, we put on roughly four events tackling various international law topics. These include talks led by an international lawyer or professional advocate; round-table discussions on current events; events that spread awareness and understanding of global events; and fundraisers. We also organize a careers-in-international-law panel so students can hear directly from practitioners, professors, and scholars. Beyond learning about fascinating areas of international law, these events allow students to expand their professional networks.

Q: Why did you join HRILO?

A: I came to law school to pursue a career in international law. I joined HRILO because I wanted to meet like-minded students on campus. I also wanted to learn more about various international law topics, connect with students who came before me, and learn how they got involved in the field.

Q: Why are you interested in international law?

A: While studying international affairs as an undergrad at George Washington University in Washington D.C., I took courses on conflict resolution, peace studies, and the history of U.S. foreign policy. I learned how conflict can affect the lives of people in communities across the globe, and I wanted to understand how U.S. policies affect other parts of the world — and how I could make a difference. I plan to use my legal education to pursue a career where I can advocate for others across the planet.

Q: Why did you choose UC Law SF for law school?

A: I chose UC Law SF because of its international law concentration and global program opportunities. I was drawn to its immersive learning experiences, such as the Immigrants’ Rights Clinic that I now participate in, and its study abroad options. I was recently accepted into the Study Abroad Program and plan to study international law for the upcoming fall semester at Leiden University in the Netherlands.

Q: What other activities have you pursued during law school?

A: I am a staff writer for the UC Law SF International Law Review (ILR) and a founder of the Jessup Moot Court competition team at UC Law SF. As the world’s largest moot court competition, Jessup allows students interested in international law to come together and compete. I assembled a team of six UC Law SF students this past fall, and together we spent over 100 hours preparing for a recent regional competition in Portland, Oregon.

Additionally, I am working as an intern with the Oakland-based law firm Open Immigration Legal Services. My work includes helping clients apply for asylum and changes in immigration status, producing reports on conditions in asylum seekers’ countries of origin, and drafting legal memos. Through the Immigrants’ Rights Clinic led by Professor Richard Boswell, I am also working with the National Immigration Law Center this semester, supporting its impact litigation and public policy campaigns. Additionally, I research grant proposals and do other work to support the law school’s International Development Law Center (IDLC) in my role as research assistant for IDLC Faculty Director Jessica Vapnek.

For more information on HRILO, email hrilo@uclawsf.edu.