Meet International & Comparative Law Review Editor-in-Chief Jacklin Lee '24

Jacklin Lee ’24 is editor-in-chief of the Hastings International and Comparative Law Review, which is in the process of being renamed.

At UC Law San Francisco, law students can gain valuable writing and publishing experience working with one of nine journals that cover a wide range of legal topics. One of these journals is the Hastings International and Comparative Law Review, which will be renamed in Fall 2023. Meet the journal’s Editor-in-Chief Jacklin Lee ’24 and hear in her own words what she likes about the biannual publication.

Q: What is the Hastings International and Comparative Law Review?

A: Founded in 1976, the Hastings International and Comparative Law Review is one of the few academic publications devoted exclusively to this field. It covers a wide range of cross-border legal subjects, including international trade, human rights, intellectual property, criminal law, international organizations, and environmental law, to name a few.

Q: Talk about your role as editor-in-chief.

A: As editor-in-chief, I oversee all stages of the publication process and wear multiple hats, working with authors, executive board members, and faculty. My favorite part of the job is collaborating with other students and advisors. Working together for a common goal feels great, especially in law school when most of my studies are competitive, independent work.

Q: Why do you like this subject?

A: International law is intriguing because law by nature is bound by jurisdiction so we don’t really get exposed to law outside United States. I think it’s nice to have an opportunity to widen our perspective and gain a panoramic view of what is happening beyond the bounds of our state or district court. I am especially interested in areas of law that transcend national boundaries such as health and privacy.

Q: Talk about your journey to law school.

A: I grew up in the Bay Area and earned a bachelor’s degree in international economics from UC San Diego. After college, I flew to South Korea to study abroad for a Ph.D. in political science from Yonsei University, where I also earned a master’s degree in global economy and strategy. International law and studies have always had a special place in my heart. In law school, I am continuing to develop my passion for international law.

Q: What other experiences have you had in law school?

A: Last summer, I interned with the U.S. Coast Guard Judge Advocate General (JAG). This was a unique experience that exposed me to military justice and taught me about the role of JAG officers in trials. I also worked as a research assistant for Professors Alina Ball and Jessica Vapnek, which allowed to explore different niches of law that don’t fit neatly into doctrinal courses at school. This semester, I was a judicial extern for San Francisco County Superior Court Judge Marisa Chun. I got a behind-the-scenes view into how judges prepare for their work and continually study the law and cases even after they become the highest authority in the courtroom.

Q: What do you like about UC Law San Francisco?

A: I like the diverse student body at UC Law SF, which I believe represents the vibrancy of the Bay Area. I am grateful for all the events and panel discussions that take place during the lunch hour on campus. It’s an environment that keeps my brain constantly stimulated. I also love our library. I work at the circulation desk, and the different resources we have for students truly amaze me.

Q: What else should students know about the International and Comparative Law Review?

A: International law is broad so there is a niche for any student with a particular interest. Our journal publishes twice a year and because we are a diverse group of students from various backgrounds, social interaction and fellowship are highly encouraged through happy hours and team-building activities.

For more information about the Hastings International and Comparative Law Review, email hiclr@uclawsf.edu.