Residency Information


Residency forms are available below. Please allow yourself at least 30 minutes to complete your form and have your support documents available for attachment. Any documents used to support your claim of California residency must be attached to your DocuSign application, and will not be accepted separately.

Submission due dates for Fall 2024 Semester: All forms related to residency for tuition purposes (Statement of Legal Residence, Continuing Student Statement of Legal Residence and California Nonresident Tuition Exemption) will be due by Wednesday, June 5, 2024 at 5:00pm. Exception: For students admitted after May 27, 2024, forms are due ten (10) calendar days after the date of admission.

UC Law SF Residency Policy

Basic Rule

To establish California residence, at least 366 days prior to the term for which you request classification as a California resident, you must have established a primary and permanent domicile in California and relinquished all ties to your past place(s) of residence.  You also must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, or you must have an immigration status that allows you to establish California residence.

Establishing Residency for Tuition Purposes

To establish residence, you must be physically present in California with the intent to make California your permanent home, and you must demonstrate by your actions that you have given up your former residence to establish a residence in California. Once you have established your residence in California, you must reside in California for more than one year (366 days) before you will be eligible to be classified as a resident for tuition purposes. If you are in California solely for educational purposes, you will not be considered to have established a residence for tuition purposes, regardless of the length of your stay. Your residence cannot be derived from your spouse or from your parents unless you are a minor.

You are not eligible to establish residence if you are an adult alien present in the U.S. with a nonimmigrant status that precludes you from establishing a domicile in the U.S. (including, but not limited to, B, F, H2, H3, J, M, O, P, Q, S, TN, and TD visas) or an alien without a legal immigration status.

Demonstrating Intent

Your intent to be a California resident is judged by your actions. You must show, by the actions you take after you move to California, that you are present in California because you intend to reside here indefinitely, as opposed to being in California to go to school. Acts that may indicate your intent to make California your permanent home include, but are not limited to: establishing a home in California in which your personal belonging are kept; designating California as your permanent address on all records; registering to vote and voting in California elections; registering your vehicle in California and obtaining a California driver license; paying California income taxes on all income since the date you moved to California; remaining in California during non-instructional periods; establishing bank accounts in California; and the absence of these and any other indications of residence in other states or countries during any period for which you claim California residence.

You must take these actions by the class instruction end date of the first semester you were enrolled at UC Law SF. Thus, if you matriculate at UC Law SF in fall semester and you want to petition for reclassification as a California resident effective in fall semester one year later, you must take these actions to demonstrate intent by the class instruction end date of your first fall semester.  For income tax filing, you must meet the requirement during the tax filing period closest to your reclassification date.

Exemptions from Nonresident Tuition

The following categories of students may be entitled to an exemption from nonresident tuition: (1) certain members and former members of the U.S. military and their spouses, registered domestic partners, and dependent children; (2) unmarried dependent children and spouses of tenure-track, tenured and long-term contract faculty of UC Law SF, career employees of UC Law SF and UC, and members of the UC faculty who are members of the Academic Senate; (3) full-time UC employees who are assigned to work outside California; (4) children, spouses, and registered domestic partners of deceased public law enforcement or fire suppression employees killed in the course of their official duties who were California residents at the time of their death; (5) dependent children of California residents; (6) graduates of a California high school operated by the Federal Bureau of Indian Affairs; (7) credentialed employees of a California public school; (8) amateur student athletes training at the US Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista; (9) certain students who attended school in California; (10) surviving dependents of California residents killed in the 9/11/01 terrorist attacks; (11) recipients of the Congressional Medal of Honor and their children under age 27. For students in categories (2) & (3), a review will be conducted each term to verify continuation of the applicable status.

Temporary Absences and Leaves

If you are in the process of establishing residence in California for tuition purposes and you leave California (e.g., if, during the summer break, you return to your former home state or to the state in which your parents reside), you will be presumed to be in California solely to pursue your educational objectives. Only convincing evidence to the contrary will rebut this presumption. Students who are in California solely for educational purposes are not eligible to be classified as residents for tuition purposes regardless of the length of their stay in California.

If you have been classified as a resident and you leave California, your absence could result in the loss of your residence status unless you can show that your absence was temporary and that while you were away you maintained your California residence and did not acquire a residence elsewhere.

If you are a JD student have been on leave for two consecutive semesters, you are required to complete a new application for California residency.

Petitions for Change of Residence Status

You may petition for a change of classification from nonresident to resident status by submitting a Petition for Change of Residence Status with copies of the supporting documents (see the section “Demonstrating Intent” for example of documentation).

Nonresident Eligible High School Graduates

For the California tuition exemption for students who have attended school or community college in California (AB540), submit California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request (AB540). Note that Students in possession of nonimmigrant visas (including, but not limited to any of the following visas: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T*, TN/TD, TWOV, U*, and NATO) are not eligible for this exemption.

Incorrect Classification

If you have been incorrectly classified as a resident, or incorrectly determined to be exempt from nonresident tuition, such errors will be corrected and you will be required to pay all nonresident tuition not paid. If you conceal information or furnish false information resulting in an incorrect determination, you may be subject to student disciplinary procedures. Resident students who have become nonresidents must immediately notify the Residence Officer.

Inquiries and Appeals

Inquiries regarding residence requirements, determination, exemptions and appeals should be directed to the Residence Officer at

A student classified as a nonresident by the Residency Officer may appeal that adverse decision, in writing, to the General Counsel by no later than the tenth (10th) business day following the date of notification of classification as a nonresident.  General Counsel shall rule on the appeal in writing. An adverse decision of the General Counsel may be appealed, in writing, to the Chancellor and Dean or designee. The appeal must be filed with the Office of the General Counsel no later than the tenth (10th) business day following the adverse decision of the General Counsel. The Chancellor and Dean or designee shall base its decision solely on the student’s residency records, the adverse decision of the General Counsel, the two appeal petitions, and applicable laws and regulations. His or her decision shall be final. The collection of the nonresident tuition will be stayed until a final written decision of the Chancellor and Dean or designee is rendered.

Submit appeals to: The subject line of the email should read, “APPEAL OF RESIDENCE DETERMINATION, [student first and last name, student ID number]”

Dependent Member of the Military

A student who is a dependent natural or adopted child, stepchild, spouse or registered domestic partner of a member of the armed forces of the United States stationed in California on active duty is entitled to a resident classification. Graduate and professional students are entitled to the waiver for no more than one academic year. If, while the student is in attendance at UC Law SF, the member of the armed forces is (1) transferred outside California where he continues to serve on active duty or (2) is retired from active duty, the student will not lose his exemption until he has resided in the state the minimum time necessary to become a resident (366 days). Financial independence will not be a requirement and the waiver is available to all children who are dependents for federal income tax purposes; it is not limited to minors.


The student must be the dependent of a member of the armed forces who:

  1. Is stationed in California on active duty on the residence determination date, or
  2. After serving in California on active duty has been transferred outside California where he continues to serve, or
  3. Has retired from active duty immediately after serving in California.


No UC Law SF personnel other than the Residency Officer and the General Counsel are authorized to supply information regarding residence requirements and exemptions. You are cautioned that this is not a complete explanation of the law regarding residence or exemptions and that changes may have been made in the residence requirements between the publication of this statement and the relevant residence determination date. For matters not addressed herein, the Residency Officer and the General Counsel refer to applicable law and the University of California Residency Policy and Guidelines as reasonably applied to UC Law SF.

The Residency Officer will evaluate residency forms which are submitted after the due date but before the tuition billing date; however we cannot guarantee that these forms will be processed before tuition billing occurs. Residency forms received after the tuition billing date will not be considered except in highly unusual circumstances that prevented a student from submitting earlier.